Tuesday 29 July 2008

CALORIE RESTRICTION & REJUVENATION

CALORIE RESTRICTION DIET

Its day four of my calorie restriction and detox diet - I am trying to keep to around 600 calories but eating the right kind of nutrients. So far it's not been too difficult. I have not been particularly hungry.

I put this down to the new Arkopharma diet pill I have been taking which seems to kill the appetite, combined with the David Kirsch meal replacement which contains a mega amount of nutrients - everything required by the human body including flaxseed and whey protein - I added a few blueberries, strawberries and blackberries to the vanilla flavour for breakfast.

So for the past three days I have eaten less than most people have eaten in a day or even at one meal - so have I lost any weight. I got on the scales this morning - and the answer is no - though I can see the marker moving slightly to the left! I assume that my body is in denial at the moment and I have quite a bit of fat to live off at the moment and there will be a dramatic movement downwards any day. Still I have been cycling everywhere...

INFRA RED SKIN REJUVENATION

The Harley Street Medical Skin Clinic is the only clinic in the UK to have PHOTONOVA, a new Swedish technology which uses infra-red light to rejuvenate the skin on the face and body.

So I pop along to see head aesthetician, Liz Hood, to find out what it is all about.

Liz shows me their new machine and also tells me about her own experience - its great at lifting the sagging jowel area - one of the first areas to go where ageing is concerned.

This technique involves passing the head of the device over the skin a number of times. Each pass delivers a known quantity of infra-red heat energy into the tissue. The infra-red light delivers heat energy into the tissue which heats the water inside the dermis and this stimulates the fibroblasts (the collagen-producing cells) responsible for keeping the skin young and supple. It also kick starts them into producing new collagen over the next few days and weeks.

Most clients, Liz, tells me will see a marked improvement in the first two months after the one treatment which declines afterwards, so you would need a top up between 9 and 18 months afterwards.

This is a treatment that you could do in your lunch-hour or after work because it doesn't do anything invasive to your skin. Some people may experience a little bit of redness.

This treatment will cost about £500 when it is officially launched following the current patient trial that is being carried out by the clinic. I agree that I will be part of the trial and Liz gives me a patch test to make sure there is no adverse reaction. I will let you know what happens...

In the meantime I try a very gentle salt dermabrasion called Salt-A-Peel. I have never ever had dermabrasion as my skin is ultra-sensitive and if anyone is going to have an allergic reaction or go red it will be me.

Liz tells me that it will leave my face radiant and smoothe. Nevertheless I am a bit worried as Liz blasts my face...

After the dermabrasion Liz covers my face is a masque containing Alpha Hydroxy Acid amd uses an ultrasound device to help my skin absorb the nutrients. This treatment usually lasts an hour but I only want a taster - so 20 minutes later I look in the mirror. There is a bit of redness but minutes later its gone and my skin feels beautifully soft.

Afterwards I have a moisturiser with 30 SPF sunscreen and a mineral-makeup foundation to protection my new skin from the sun and London pollution.

This treatment costs £90 and its recommended that you have at least one a month. My skin looked even better the next day.

No comments: